Summer Project Update

Hello everyone! Here's what I've been up to so far this summer.

Izzy been BRUTAL to my poor cats. They can't even be in the yard without her pouncing on them.  Between that behaviour and the about-to-fall-down fence along one side of my yard, the quick and easy solution was to use up scrap materials to create a courtyard for the cats and a more secure yard for the dog.

I yanked the roof off my potting bench and repurposed it as an arbour.  This gave me a structure that I could attach railings to and a gate.  Easy peasy courtyard!




The potting bench roof BEFORE:


And AFTER:


I had to buy a bunch of deck railing spindles but that only cost about $30 so this whole project was achieved for a very low cost.

Here's the rest of the courtyard and the master bedroom deck that I sanded to get rid of the ugly blue-grey stain.  I also painted the deck frame to match the siding on the house - much nicer look!



Izzy has just about killed my lawn with all her pee spots.  I've tried re-seeding but with the drought, nothing much is growing.




The deck I had planned to replace this tiny master bedroom deck got put on the back burner, so I used up all the bricks that I had been given a few years ago by creating a tiny patio to set the potting bench on.  Half of the bricks are sitting on an old concrete stoop and the other half on a very sturdy pallet.  I repurposed the step someone built to access the garden door as a step up to the brick patio.  I also built a much nicer, larger step up to the garden door.  I don't hate this area anymore!!




On the inside of the house, I needed to replace the living room and dining room windows.  Since these rooms are both from the 1930s and have sketchy insulation, I added rigid insulation and more bead board paneling to cover up that insulation.  This gave me a vapour barrier as well as a much cuter wall treatment (what was there was painted over wallpaper - complete with overlapped seams, etc.).

Here's the dining room window before paint 



And after


And my new living room window:



I've still got to get up in the attic and crawl around locating my ceiling fixtures in the 20" of blown in insulation so that I can bring the wiring up to today's standard but I can't seem to get up the motivation to do that job in the extreme heat wave we're living through right now.

Hope everyone's summers are going well!

Cheers :)



19 comments:

  1. I can feel your frustration with a dog who chases and harrasses cats. I have one also. She doesn't try to hurt them, she just loves to make them run - and if they don't, she takes her nose and knocks them down to make them run. She doesn't do that with an indoor cat - only the outdoor community cats that I feed. For some reason inside you're okay, outside in "her" yard, you're fair game. I've tried for years to break her of that (she's 10 yrs old) with very little success. Your yard and outdoor are are looking great, especially in this heat and dryness. And your new walls and windows look great. I love your little house. I'm big on coziness and comfort and since it's just me, it can be what it is and I'm happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I'm glad I'm not alone with that nutty behaviour! My poor cats, Izzy is either just plain mean or doesn't realize how small they are compared to her. She does hurt them, though. Thank you for your sweet comment - I love living on my own, too :)

      Delete
  2. Yard is looking good. Love the new windows and you will definitely appreciate them, and the insulation, this winter. S

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharon! I'm already appreciating how much heat the insulation keeps out of my house! lol

      Have a great week!

      Delete
  3. Those are great projects. Congratulations on making everything work better for you. I've been following you for quite a while and I was happy to see today's post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Barbara! I'm still plugging away at the updates and renos, thankfully there aren't many of them left. Have a great week!

      Delete
  4. I love all your projects...very cozy and warm. I especially love your fence. Can you give a little more information on how you went about putting in the posts, etc. Love your ideas...you do a great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Becky! Um posts? what posts??? lol I added perpendicular 2x4s to either side of the arbour posts. They aren't sunk into the ground at all, just sitting on top of the ground. Then I attached the upper and lower rails of the railing to the arbour posts and to the deck railing on one side and the shed on the other side. It's makeshift but all the pieces help to hold each other together. It's surprisingly sturdy. Thanks for your sweet comment! ps if I were going to do it properly, I would have beefed up the arbour posts to 4x4s and added these to the bottom http://www.homedepot.com/p/Simpson-Strong-Tie-12-Gauge-Black-Powder-Coated-E-Z-Spike-FPBS44/100655352 :)

      Delete
  5. How creative of you to create the little area for your cats. The deck outside the master bedroom looks nice and relaxing, when it cools off of course.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish I had half of your energy! Everything looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like your DIY mojo is going strong, Anne. Brilliant repurposing of your potting bench roof. The arbour, fence and gate are charming. How nice to have a deck off your bedroom that leads into this lovely courtyard. Nice job on the living room window. You're amazing. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great, creative solution. I hope your cats enjoy their courtyard without the dog's "help".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gayle! The cats LOVE their exclusive courtyard. They're so happy out there and well out of the dog's reach. :) xo

      Delete
  9. Love the repurposing of your potting bench. This is super cool. You go girl. Looks great. Very good solution for both the cats and Izzy. Happy Monday.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are amazing! I love your house and love reading about all your projects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks so much Patricia! What a nice thing to say!! xo

      Delete
  11. LOVE it all Anne!.....from that wonderful arbor, to the brick floor, to those gorgeous windows!...You are truly Wonder Woman! Yes, stay out of the attic until it cools down!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! You've been busy! I'm in love with the garden gate you created.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. I respond to comments through email. If I can't respond to you by email (no reply blogger), I'll leave a reply under your comment. Hope you have a fabulous day!